Homeowners Insurance Claim Denied?

Homeowners insurance lawyers assist homeowners when their homeowners insurance claim has been wrongfully denied. Homeowners insurance  lawyers can also help homeowner’s insurance policy holders when their insurance company has unreasonably delayed paying a property damage claim.

Lexington Homeowner Insurance Bad Faith Lawyers

When a homeowner’s insurance company wrongfully denies or unreasonably delays payment of a valid homeowners insurance claim, it is called acting in “bad faith”. Your Kentucky homeowner’s insurance policy is a contract between you and the insurance company. That contract creates a special relationship between you and your homeowner’s insurance company that requires them to act in good faith in their dealings with you. When they play games with your valid homeowner’s insurance property damage claim, they are acting in bad faith.

What Does a Homeowners Insurance Policy Cover?

Homeowners insurance policies vary from policy to policy and insurance company to insurance company, but a homeowner’s insurance dispute lawyer can review your policy and explain in plain English what your obligations are and what the homeowner’s insurance company must cover. Your insurance agent may be able to explain things to you, but they will always paint the policy in the best light. Depending on the policy, your Kentucky homeowner’s insurance may cover property damage claims for things like wind damage, rain, water or flood damage, landslides, fire or theft. However, this does not mean that your homeowner’s insurance company will pay the claim. Whenever you need to file a homeowner’s insurance claim, it is a good idea to contact an experienced lawyer who has taken on homeowner insurance companies in disputed claim cases.

Is My Homeowner’s Insurance Company Acting in Bad Faith?

Just because your homeowner’s insurance denied your claim for property damage, it does not mean that they have acted in bad faith. You should always request a free consultation from an experienced Lexington homeowners insurance bad faith lawyer. In general, your insurance company may be acting in bad faith if:

  • They unreasonably delay paying your claim or delay in responding to your calls, emails and other communication regarding a dispute.
  • They refuse to pay a valid claim.
  • They refuse to pay for a covered loss or property damage.
  • They refuse to pay any part of a covered claim including personal property or damage to part of your home.
  • They “low ball” your claim, only paying a fraction of what is fair market value.
  • They change adjusters in the middle of an insurance claim that results in delay.
  • They fail to pay where coverage was originally promised, or wrongful denial of insurance coverage.
  • They set impossible conditions, which may include requiring you to have itemized receipts for every single item of lost or damaged personal property or requiring you to submit multiple types of “proof of loss,” such as numerous recorded statements or written proof of loss.

Damages for Homeowners Insurance Bad Faith

If an insurance company in Kentucky has acted in bad faith in your homeowners insurance claim, an experienced bad faith lawyer can evaluate your case and tell you what monetary damages you are entitled to under your policy. But, generally, you are entitled to the benefits of the policy, any additional damages that you have suffered because of their bad faith and, in some cases, punitive damages to punish the insurance company.

Experienced Lexington Homeowners Insurance Bad Faith Lawyer

The bad faith lawyers at Mehr, Fairbanks & Peterson Trial Lawyers, have taken more insurance bad faith cases to trial than any other law firm in the State of Kentucky. We understand the challenges of these cases and we know the hardships that they can cause for families. We will take on the insurance company for you and fight to get you the settlement you deserve.

Kentucky Disability Lawyer

If Your Claim Has Been Denied, Call Now.

Ask a Question or Request a Free Case Evaluation

Have Questions? Ask a Lawyer